Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Too Many Titles and Farewell to a Legend.

So I'm thinking a lot lately about the salad days of my youth, and I found a full set of the old 1985 WWF trading cards that I can get for $20. You bet your ass I'm getting them. But anyway back on topic ...

I don't like the title situation in modern wrestling. The WWE has too many titles and they change hands too often which makes them practically meaningless. First of all they need to do away with the "World Title". I know, I know, many of you wrestling "purists" are saying "But that belt has ties to the original NWA title, there's so much history there!" Well that's only because the old NWA became the old WCCW which then became the modern WCW which was bought by the WWE. When the undisputed heavyweight championship belt was introduced in the early 2000's that was supposed to be the end of it. That belt was the merging of the lines between WWF and WCW. Which is why if you look around this page, you'll see images of a championship belt, but it's that one in particular. Because that's the only one I recognize as the REAL heavyweight championship.



That spinner belt (that no longer spins) that CM Punk is carrying around right now, while I will admit that I do like its shape and girth, I am not a fan of all the gemstones on it. It's way too "bling bling". (Thanks alot Cena) And like I said before, the world title (which is the old WCW title) shouldn't exist at all anymore.


As for the United States title ... Why? Why was that belt brought back? The US title was retired in 2001 when Edge defeated Test at Survivor Series and unified the United States and Intercontinental titles. I know, I know, once again they brought it back for "Captain America", Super Cena. But it's a useless championship that serves no purpose except to draw attention away from the Intercontinental title.


The Divas championship? What's the point? These girls want to win something, put them in an evening gown on a runway somewhere because the only one of them that knows a thing about wrestling is Natalya. The rest of them are models and nothing more.


Finally the tag team titles. I really miss the old WWF world tag team belts but I do kinda like these new ones. They look more "tag team". But the division itself is dead and pointless. They don't even give it any tv time anymore.

They really need to go back the way it was and have the new guys start out as tag team competitors, work their  way up into a singles career and maybe one day be Intercontinental Champion. Then if you're good enough and you've stuck with it for years and you pay your dues, then you might one day become heavyweight champion. Ask guys like Shawn Michaels and Bret Hart. They know what I'm talking about.

One final piece of news is a legend and WWE Hall of famer Chief Jay Strongbow,  passed away this morning at the age of  83. My condolences to his family, he will be missed.


No comments:

Post a Comment